Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Power To Heal



On Thursday night I got together with a great friend for dinner and discussion. We went to a major chain restaurant and sat down for a decent meal and some intersting chat. Much to my delight I saw a new burger that had just been inserted into their all new menu, so I ordered it and awaited its arrival. Within minutes it made its way to our table and I was off and running. It was hands down one of the best burgers I've ever eaten in my 33 years and 6 months upon this earth. After eating every last bite and leaving the plate completely void of any food whatsoever, my friend and I sat and talked for quite a while about where God is leading us these days. Afterwards I returned home and raved about this fantastic meal and how my wife and I had to return there soon so that she could also experience this magnificent burger (ok, so I get excited easily).

Fast forward to 6:00 AM the next morning. I woke up and felt like my stomach had two wild animals fighting inside of it. Within minutes I was having some serious "throne time", dry heaving and then I blacked out and fell to the floor. The next thing I remember, I was crawling out of the bathroom with my entire body feeling like it was dead weight, sweat rushing out of every pore. This repeats several times throughout the day as I slept nearly 19 of the next 24 hours. At one point, I found myself somewhat fearful as I didn't want to blackout again - this time alone as my wife was at work. I just started repeating, out loud, with all the strength I could muster, the name of Jesus. I just kept saying it over and over as much as I could. Looking back, I'm not really sure if I was calling out to Him for help or speaking to the sickness that had seemingly overtaken my body. I think it was a little of both.

During one of the hours that I was awake, I was reading in Luke. In chapter 5 Jesus is confronted by the paralytic that was lowered through the roof. Right before the man is brought before Jesus, verse 17 states, "And the power of the Lord was present for Him to heal the sick." Man oh man did I grab on to that verse! I just kept repeating that this "power to heal" was present in me and I wasn't going to tolerate this sickness any longer.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, other than to remind you that the power to heal, to serve, to free and to give life is in all of us who have Jesus living within us. I want to walk with the mentality that "the power is present" within me, always. So let's rise up and be the confident Body that Jesus can be proud of. Oh yea, one more thing - be careful what burgers you're eating when you go out to dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're at the same age Jesus was when we ascended. Cool!

-Matt Williams