Monday, January 28, 2013

I’m A Christian And I’m Sorry: An Open Letter to Those Wounded By The Body Of Christ PART 2


Please start with the Introduction, then Part 1

PART 2

To the elected leaders of this nation, yes, I am a Christian and I’m sorry that We’ve failed to pray for you with an honest and pure heart. I’m sorry that we constantly tear you down with our words and primarily only discuss you as juveniles with scornful Facebook messages and hate-filled rhetoric. I will pray for you whether I agree with your decisions or not. I will believe that Jesus Christ Himself will visit you and lead you to a knowledge of Who He is, should you open yourself to Him. I won’t blindly and ignorantly assume that one’s involvement in a political party somehow determines one’s personal spiritual condition. I commit to pray for you whether I personally agree with your agenda or not.

1 Timothy 2:1-4 I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

To the poor and hungry that live throughout neighborhoods all over this land, yes, I am a Christian and I’m sorry that Our priorities are primarily self-centered. We’ve chosen to erect luxurious buildings and fill them with flat screens, elaborate sound systems, light shows and entirely unnecessary comforts. We spend our personal money on electronics and nice cars. We buy our elementary-age children iPads, wear designer clothes and live in high-end housing while you’re passed over and thrown occasional bags of cheap, canned food (if you meet certain criteria). I’m sorry We’ve not taken care of you like Jesus instructed us to. In doing so, we’ve not just neglected you, We’ve neglected the very One that We claim to represent. I will share my food with you. I will strive to live a less “me” oriented lifestyle. I will choose to continually let go of the comforts of this world so that I might better help care for you. Jesus is your friend and knows your every need.

Deuteronomy 15:7-8 “If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother; but you shall freely open your hand to him, and shall generously lend him sufficient for his need in whatever he lacks.”

Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because he has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor.

Luke 14:12-14 When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, otherwise they may also invite you in return and that will be your repayment. But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.

Luke 12:33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys.

To the atheists of the world, yes, I am a Christian and I’m sorry that We as a people are largely biblically illiterate and can therefore only respond to most of your questions with “it’s all about faith”. We’re threatened by your knowledge and ability to debate your side and therefore resort to name-calling and religious pride to hollowly “defend” ourselves when We feel threatened. I choose to admit that I don’t have all of the answers and I never will. Furthermore, I’ve studied for myself the origins of this nation and I don’t believe that they articulate whatsoever a biblical foundation upon the teachings of Christ. Therefore I don’t believe it should be demanded of you that you believe or else you’re not “patriotic” enough for this falsely-monikered “Christian” nation. Man-made religion is not the answer to everything and your non-belief is your freedom just as believing is mine. Many of you are more moral and actively pursuing good than Us and that’s surely an embarrassing matter that We must address.  I won’t fear you or write you off as evil just because you don’t believe like I do. I will be determined to study the Scriptures more so that I can be better equipped to respond to challenges and questions that you might have. I believe that discussions with those possessing differing opinions is actually extremely healthy and beneficial for a thriving spiritual life.

Ephesians 4:1-2 “I implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love.”

No comments: