Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Battle of Fire and Sword

"Do not be content with the sword", I thought as I pictured a large battlefield. On my own, I would walk in completely alone into this ongoing battle, empty–handed. I would surely face death and loss. But when I came to Christ and gave my life to Him, I was given a sword. I was given a weapon not to simply defend myself as is often taught in many churches today. I was given this sword to boldly take back ground that the enemy has stolen. We're not to just simply stand there and ward off the darkness as it comes our way to destroy us. We are already the victors! Does a victor of a battle simply sit idly defending himself? No! We must charge head–on into the battle. We must be on the offensive for the battle is the Lord's! I personally believe that God is looking for soldiers that are not content with the sword alone. Just as in the days of the Old Testament, I believe that today God longs to move with tremendous power and glory. I believe that He is looking for followers that are believing their Leader, their King, to release the supernatural. Of course the sword of the Spirit is indeed a supernatural concept. I certainly don't debate that whatsoever, but…….

I see myself in the heat of a battle in a vast field. Evil is all around. Angels are warring with them to my left and to my right. I see many fallen soldiers that came to the battle unarmed – somehow I know that they willingly laid down their armor and sword, making themselves vulnerable to the enemy. As the battle rages and I begin to use this sword of the Lord, I realize that my confidence is growing. My skills are improving. The more I implement this weapon of warfare, the more confident I become. Not in fleshly pride, but with an understanding of the true battle that is taking place each day and my role in it. I am not alone. I see thousands of soldiers just as myself taking ground. Ground that the darkness has held strong for far too long. I somehow know that my King is bestowing more power now to His soldiers than in days past. He is pouring out more ability, more confidence, more of His power. The soldiers sense it as well. I can see it in their faces, their confidence and boldness growing dramatically with each step that they take and with each thrust of the sword that is made. We are growing, we are advancing.

The enemy although fighting, knows their time is coming to a close. They fight voraciously because they know their fate. Their power is fueled by their anger and evil intent. With their eternal destiny always in mind, they fight so that we might suffer as they do and forever will. But the darkness is fading as flashes of lightning begin to fill the gray skies. The field is enormous, more than my eyes can fully take in. Smoke and the stench of death is in the air. In the midst of the battle, I somehow see a rock to the East. I safely retreat there to a quiet place and seek the Lord regarding my sword. Oh what a blessing it is to be armed by my Master's very hand. Without it I would be vulnerable and have no chance of surviving. But I ask the Lord, "Is there more? Do You not long to devour Your enemies as You did in the days of Moses or Elijah? Lord, Your weapons are perfect and Your plans are true, but is there more?" I quickly return to the battle and feel overwhelmed with His power. I call on the name of the Lord and speak for fire and power to fall from Heaven and consume my enemies on every side. Instantaneously, a ball of flaming fire roars down for the sky above, piercing the dark clouds and bolts of lightning. It was as nothing I had ever seen before for it was not made up of fire as I've ever known it. The fire swept along the earth, as if it were alive. It swiftly moved to and fro, consuming all enemies in it's path. It was not random, for it knew where it was going the entire time. The enemy was immobile when the fire came. They could not even raise a hand to defend themselves in it's presence. Many even bowed before it as it came their way, as if they knew it's origin and purpose. All stood in awe of the mighty fire as it moved along the earth. All was as if time stood still. I could feel it's heat and energy as it roared about and then returned to where it came.
The battle raged on and the fighting continued, just as it has since the beginning of time and will continue until the King returns for His people and puts an end to the darkness for all time. I will never lay down my sword, but in this moment, for this day, I will forever remember the fiery glory of my King that came down on my behalf and consumed my enemies on every side.

May we be a people that seek the full glory and power of the Lord in our days. Arm yourself with Him, put on your battle gear – time is running out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. This gives so much passion and an awesome illustration to what my quiet time this morning focused on.

In Romans 5 I found comfort to momentary troubles by relearning that it is only resistance training. The Lord is allowing me the opportunity to build strength into my faith so that I can have a confident expectation of Him.

I read that in your vision of growing confidence on the battlefield and boldly calling fire down to consume those that were trying to take His land.

Right on time.

There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit! romans 5:3-5 (amp)