Thursday, September 07, 2006

Dental Hygiene and Destiny

I'm not poor. I don't suffer from bad hygiene nor do I look like a hillbilly. I'm telling you this beforehand because today I went to the dentist for the first time in 15+ years. I'm just cheap (I, however prefer frugal) and I'm too often not concerned enough for my physical well–being. With that in mind, I went in with grave expectations. Gallons of sweet tea and coffee had run over and around these teeth for years and I was prepared for the worst. Thankfully, I was already familiar with the office and it's staff as I frequently do work at their location. Because of this, I was pretty much at ease seeing as how I can't stand doctors offices of any kind. The time had come for me to go back to "the chair", so off I went with a smile full of decaying (or so I thought) teeth in full display. As minutes passed and the exam went further along, I was hearing comments such as, "You have fantastic teeth!" and "Wow. You must not have eaten much chocolate as a child." I was in shock as I pondered whether I was simply being toyed with as the dentist was being informed of this guy with a rotten mouthful of teeth or if she was, in fact, being truthful with me.

As 30 minutes came and went and all was coming to a close, both the assistant and the dentist agreed openly about how strong and cavity–free my teeth were. I sat there baffled. "How could this be?" I thought. I've neglected these teeth of dental care for nearly half of my life yet all was intact and cavity free. As I exited the building and thanked the Lord for the good report, He spoke: "Joel, just like you did with your teeth, you too often expect the worst in life. You dwell on what might happen, or what might go wrong instead of expecting the best – instead of speaking out great expectations into your future. Claim your future! Speak life into your life! Lay hold to all that I have created you to be. I am your Protector, your Provider. In Me, all will remain as it should – perfectly created. Rest. Grab hold of peace that resides in Me. This doesn't mean you can go without "flossing and brushing" away the impurities that try to cling to you, but rest in the fact that I am here for you. I alone will keep you from spiritual decay and death. Remain in Me. Draw near to Me and I will draw near to you."

May we, His chosen people remain in Him and rest in the confidence of who He has called us to be – His mighty children! Sons and daughters, kings! Lord, You alone are worthy, all praise is due to You alone.

God is speaking, are you listening?

No comments: