Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Coming Age

I was watching some videos online yesterday of the events that took place at the World Trade Center on September 11th. Most videos were of the planes hitting the buildings or still shots of the people running down the streets in tattered clothing covered in soot. One video included the audio of a man that was trapped on one of the highest floors. He was on the phone with E-911 operators leading up to when one of the towers fell. You could literally hear the building begin to rumble and fall beneath him as he cried out, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" before the call went silent. There's no debate that this is the most chilling event that my generation has ever seen. As I watched the scenes unfold, the planes enter the buildings in a burst of flame and most importantly, the look on the people's faces as they ran in fear, I could not help but think of the time when God's judgment comes to earth.

With all of the activities ongoing in Israel, my personal fascination with the book of Revelation and my recent reading of Isaiah, it is surely upon us. In Isaiah 29:6 the Lord said this to the nations that devastated His people, "Suddenly, in an instant, the Lord Almighty will come with thunder and earthquake and great noise, with windstorm and tempest and flames of devouring fire." I can't help but mark the similarities to what is to come here on the earth. The birthing pains have started. The Lord is returning soon. As tragic and incomprehensible as 9/11 was, I know, from reading Scripture, that it was only a tremor before the mighty quake that is the coming wrath of the Lord. May we, His people, rise up and be the mighty witness to His return so that all might see His glory before it's too late.

No comments: