Wednesday, August 30, 2006

There Is A River

I love fishing. Although I never make it out to a lake much anymore, that's OK because within the last few years, I've discovered fishing in many local rivers and streams. I've become pretty skilled in where and how to catch fish such as trout, that live in these waters. The places that I visit regularly have waters that have a good current and are moving swiftly in some areas, even in the midst of this years drought. As I was out last night in a local river, I was talking with the Lord about the analogies of the river and my walk with Him. I was standing mid–thigh deep in water and looking all around me. I thought about how the bigger fish are almost always found in the deep pools of the river. They dwell there because there is more room for them and the water remains cooler and more desirable. Often, the deep pools form just behind or next to large rocks that are embedded in the river bottom. Just like this, I need to head to the deep waters of the Lord and remain there. It's here that I belong, here where I find safety and supply. Next to the rock there is safety, protection and deep waters that sustain my life.

You'll also find many fish in the areas where the water is flowing strongly. Here they find precious oxygen and their necessary food that's washing downstream. In this case, they don't have to do much work for their meals because it's brought toward them by the movement of the water. They simply have to swim over to it and consume it. Again, this is where we need to remain in a spiritual sense. If we stay in the current of God's move and flow, then all that we need is supplied to us. Here our life–giving "food" and sustenance in Him washes over us and brings us life. May we fully realize that He desires us to go to the great depths of His presence and remain in the flow of the Holy Spirit's move in all of our days.

Psalm 46:4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.

No comments: