Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Holy City



Not too much out of the ordinary, I awoke from a dream this morning. I was in the town that I grew up in rural Illinois. The small details are pretty insignificant, but to summarize, I had become uneventfully seized by a group of guys that had me in a car en route to an unknown destination. When the car stopped, everyone got out, myself included. As they nonchalantly proceeded to walk up to a building, I casually began to walk away. As I fumbled for my cell phone and called my wife, my eyes were scouring to find a place to go. I contemplated heading down a long familiar road that I knew was a busy one, but I chose to stay close and look for solace. She answered and I briefly told her what had transpired. I told her that I felt that it would be more wise for me to quickly find a place of refuge and wait for her arrival. As I looked up and down the street, attempting to decide where to go, I saw a big nondescript house across the street to my left. What caught my eye though was what was standing in the front yard. There was a square sign, dimly lit, that looked like any other, except it stated, "Holy City". Then I woke up.

As I looked about the Word this morning with this in mind, the Lord spoke clearly and simply. Revelation 21:2 stood out the most; "And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband." Lately I've become too wrapped up in busier work days and worldly pleasures (the men in the car leading me away). Last night, the Lord really called me to completely turn my gaze back to Him. Just as in the dream, when I'm looking for solace, refuge and salvation, the "Holy City" is awaiting. His eternal Kingdom is here and is coming. I want to long for this Holy City more than I long for any other worthless thing of this world that is passing away. Just a few verses away, the Word is nearly wrapped up by 22:20 where Jesus states, "Yes, I am coming quickly."

I feel, now more than ever that His coming is upon us. It's as if He is, even now, riding upon the clouds that are about to roll into view for all to see. So, just as John, I say, "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus." Today I choose to seek the Holy City that will never pass away. Let New Jerusalem rise up within us now as we usher in its arrival upon the earth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dream world surely is working out what your sub conscious mind is thinking about. I wish I could recall dreams but I only remember them when I sleep very lightly. I once heard that you can ask God questions and he will reveal them to you in your dreams. I too have recently started a blog, not as thoughtful as yours though. I would love it if you checked it out. young-dead-elms.blogspot.com

God Bless and keep up the good work.

- DB

Anonymous said...

Interesting!

The last paragraph is true. I believe that we are in the last church age the laodicean age. Laodicea means the rule of the will of the people. Sounds like America? We are rich and in need of nothing and don't know that we are really poor, blind, miserable and naked. If we are in the last church age which is the sseventh one listed in Revelation whats next? Care to take a stab at it?

You seem to be not the norm. You seem to go against the grain of the religious system. I would like to inquire more concerning what you are about. This might seem weird but I have some great truthes all very biblical to share if you have ears to hear. I'm not joking I promise, this is no skam bryanjacob@cox.net email me if your interested.